Friday 12 April 2013

Author Interview: Jamie Manning





How easy/hard is it writing this series from Ava's point of view. Being a guy do you stumble across difficulty writing from a female perspective?

It was actually fairly easy writing from Ava’s point of view (though I don’t know if I was successful at it, lol). She was such a strong character during the writing process, it would’ve been impossible not to convey what she was saying to me!

What inspired you to write a story about a half vampire?

I've always loved vampires. By far, they’re my favourite of all mystics in fiction (I secretly still hold out hope that they’re real, and one will swoop in and bite me. Yes, I'm weird). When Ava’s story came to me, she was just a vampire trying to survive. I knew that I somehow needed to make her story different. The idea that vampires could become human again just sort of emerged out of that thinking, and The Blood Prophecy was born.

In Blood Awakening, the characters have undergone some changes based on events that happened in Blood Born. Was it difficult to keep the characters familiar despite these changes?

I actually found it easier, given that they were so present to me. I’ve been with these characters for a while now, so their actions and thought processes are pretty familiar to me.

If you could invite any author dead or alive to dinner, who would it be?

Definitely Harper Lee (To Kill A Mockingbird). I would love to sit down to dinner (or even just coffee, Ms. Lee. Just so ya know.) and just let her ramble about whatever topic she chooses. Just being in the same room with her would be a dream.

What's next? More from The Blood Prophecy Trilogy?

There will be one more book in the trilogy (duh, right? Lol) which will come out sometime in 2014. But in between this book and the last, the first book of my next series, GENERATION Z, will be released. It’s dystopian, and far different from this series, so I hope everyone enjoys it. I’m working on several side projects as well, that I hope to get published very soon. I’m also toying with the idea of a sort of novella set in the Blood Prophecy world, about a couple of the characters and their lives before the first book. So keep an eye out for that. J

Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?

This question is always a tough one for me, because I don’t feel adequate to dole out advice. But for the sake of an answer, I’ll say that if you aspire to become an author, don’t ever give up. No matter what gets in the way, always know, in your heart, that your dream is waiting.


Author bio:

My name is Jamie and I am a writer.

I've always wanted to be a writer (like most writers, I'm sure) but not until the last few years have I taken it seriously (after I read a tiny, unknown book called Twilight). I was always told growing up that I had to get a job and take care of myself, so I pushed my dream of writing a book to the back of my mind and entered the workforce. Fast-forward many, many years and here I am, trying to make a go at it.


I stumbled across Blogger in 2010 and my world of writing exploded. I have met (via the web) so many amazing writers and industry professionals and book bloggers that have passed on their wisdom and experience and successes and failures. So many, in fact, that I have no excuse to sit down and write out the stories living in my head. Which is what I'm now attempting to do.


I enjoy reading more than most other things (well, except maybe for writing. And TV. No way am I giving up my TV) . I attempt to write YA (paranormal and dystopian) and I love it.


Blood Born, book one in The Blood Prophecy trilogy, was released by Pendrell Publishing April 24, 2012. Book two, Blood Awakening, is coming April 2013.

No comments: