Sunday 25 November 2012

review; The Aberration by Bard Constantine

When a freak storm engulfs a flourmill, the workers learn quickly that there is much more to fear than just heavy rain.

Something else arrives with the storm –macabre creatures that alter their shapes and features with every attack. In order to survive the night, the employees will have to rely on a man whose sanity is questionable. For he claims to have faced the same attacks before, over ages of time. He calls it an Aberration. A doorway that opens to a realm of nameless evils. What lies beyond wants to smother our world in darkness and perverse terror. It grows stronger with every passing moment, and all that stands between it and our world are the workers trapped in the building. Each person will be pushed to the very precipice of madness as reality distorts and the bizarre beings mount their attack. In the end, survival may not be enough to survive the Aberration…

The Aberration is a tale of mounting horror that will leave readers guessing until the very end. Author Bard Constantine blends creature feature horror with psychological terror, creating a story that both haunts and satisfies fans of both.

Prey that you survive the experience…

My thoughts
Chaos reigned from the the first page, it was clear this was going to be an action packed book from the beginning, and I hardly had time to take breath between the action.

Guy Mann and his co-workers are trapped inside the floor mill with "The others" faceless creatures who are determined to stop Guy from stopping the Aberration. 

Is Guy as crazy as his co-workers think he is, or as he really already done all this before in past lives.

I enjoyed the flash backs in the book, I really felt it gave more depth to the horror that  was already happening in the mill and the struggles which Guy had faced before.

the story is told from different vies points which in the past I have found confusing but in this case the author does it effortlessness and really gave a sense of how each of the characters were dealing with the horror that was taking over the mill.
I loved how strong Fran was, despite how frightened she was at times she stood up to the creatures far better than any of the man.
Rob was a character that I couldn't have any respect for, for various reasons but no spoilers from me.
I liked both Guy and Michael, Guy may at times seemed a little insane, I think I would have followed him anywhere, Michael just wanted to protect everyone and stay alive

I don't often read horror as I'll admit I am a bit of a wuss but after reading the blurb I was too intrigue not to. I am glad I did.

A fast paced, action packed novel that keeps the reader guessing until the end and truth be told I still have questions I wouldn't mind answers too but I don't want to give anything away.

Thankfully or should I say surprisingly I actually slept after reading :-) 

you can out more about Bard Constantine on
Goodreads
Amazon
Twitter and his
Website

No comments: